Sunday 17 July 2016

My next step

My final hand in for my degree was Thursday, it was then that it finally dawned on me... I have completed University and I now have a DEGREE. I've always been an arty person, doodling on anything that I could get my hands on... mostly newspapers from a young age. Back in primary school I won a drawing competition in my borough, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and met Margaret Hodge, who is an MP (I had no clue who she was back then) also I got given a Queen Golden Jubilee 2002 mug. (Yup, I still have it.)

Going through secondary school I had to decide what subjects I was going to choose for my GCSES, of course, I chose Art (French, media and graphics.) In year 10, the first few months of starting our chosen GCSE subjects we had to do work experience. I did 2 weeks of work experience at Sugar Magazine (it's now known as SugarScape) and it gave me a glimpse of what it's like to work in the fashion/journalism field.
 Then once the GCSES were over it was time to choose a specific subject that I wanted to continue with and make a 'future' from. I remember so vividly not having a clue what I wanted to study, art and fashion were always in the back of my mind when choosing. 
Why was it so hard for me to choose to study art? I feel as though a lot of people are brought up in believing that studying art will get you nowhere in life or there isn't a career path behind it. 
I had to choose a subject that I was passionate about and would enjoy, that was art and design. I studied fine art for 2 years at college and I loved every minute of it. I was surrounded by so many talented people! 
It was around my first year of college that I bought a sewing machine and started to design pieces of clothing. It's amazing how much YouTube tutorials can teach you! Also, I started knitting! (Granny Liza)
As I enjoyed my time at Barking college so much I applied to study HNC fine art there... It wasn't until 2 weeks before the course started that I got the news that I may have to find elsewhere to study because there weren't enough people that enrolled onto the course. It was then that I went through UCAS clearing and applied for loads of university's and colleges that were still open to students... I went for interviews all over London carrying my portfolio. It was then I thought, how on earth am I going to get a train every day into London whilst carrying heavy stuff...it'd be fine if I moved out and into the campus but with everything being so last minute with choosing somewhere else I didn't want to add more stress to the situation. 

It was such a stressful time, I sat in my bedroom on my laptop and searching university's and colleges and ringing them asking if they still had spaces open on the BA Hons fine art or HNC fine art courses for hours. I wasn't getting anywhere with finding somewhere local that would offer me a place on an Arts degree course. I decided to take a turn and instead of applying for art degrees I chose to look for fashion design degrees. I then found somewhere that was fairly local... It's only a 30-minute drive away! I went for an interview and showed them my portfolio and on the same day I enrolled onto the course, HNC Fashion design!

I swapped onto BA Fine art for the next semester, I was enjoying sewing and designing clothes but I was constantly down and I would go home and just cry myself to sleep a lot..it wasn't healthy. 
But everything happens for a reason? It was when I switched to the Fine art degree that I decided to start up my blog as I didn't want to lose touch with expressing fashion. Since having this blog I've been so lucky. I get to attend really cool events and work with amazing brands such as SuperDry, So...? Fragrance, HappySocks, and so many other brands. I also get to meet and connect with some pretty cool people. 

I haven't been able to completely concentrate on my blog for the past 3 years due to my Fine art degree but as I have JUST finished I plan on uploading posts every other week. 

What am I doing after uni?
To be honest, I don't even know what I want to do in life... All I know is I want it to involve fashion and art. I have a rough plan of what I'd like to do. I'd like to work in fashion for a few years and concentrate purely on my blog and make great content and see where it leads me.
Later on in life I would love to be an art teacher, or study a Masters in art... but for now, I want to take some time out of education and work my butt off working to get me some ££££££.

 Taking a year/ years out of education will either be the best decision I've ever made or the worst.

Take care!

Eliza xo 
    
    
    


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Eliza May. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig